Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Thing 14 Week 6 Technorati Tagging

Thing 14 Week 6
As I mentioned in an e-mail last week, I had trouble with the Technorati search. I could not tell the difference between searching in Blog posts, in tags and in the Blog Directory. Most of the blogs I discovered when I searched for “School Library Learning 2.0” were for my fellow classmates! I seemed to get more of what I wanted in the Blog tab than in the general search window. If I hadn’t clicked on Popular, I would have never seen a photo of Sarah Palin in the 1984 Miss Alaska competition!

I was able to “claim” my own blog.

Disadvange of Tagging: Tagging is helpful but since it is not standardized, it is sometimes redundant. What’s the difference between the “library” tag and “libraries”? Advantage: Tagging does get to the essence of a post, however, which is helpful. I don’t know if it is a generational thing, but it is hard for me to spend hours clicking around hoping to find something that will be of use. I guess that’s why some people find a guru like Joyce Valenza and follow her work.

No comments: