Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Thing #12 Week 5 ROLLYO

Thing #12 Week 5
At my new school district, children at the elementary level are not allowed to search the web. Websites must be pre-selected for them. Of course I can post hyperlinks on my webpage or wiki, but I like the ideas of Rollyo, because I can pre-select the websites and yet still give children the freedom to search and teach them good search strategies. Just for fun, I created a simple Halloween fun website collection. Within this collection, kids can search for costumes, coloring pages, etc.

At some future time, I can see that teachers could share this with their students and this would be a good place to create a type of webquest—students creating searches for others students – or collaborating across schools. This would be a great higher order thinking exercise: evaluating students on the quality of the websites THEY selected for the rest of class.


http://rollyo.com/kofplibrarian/halloween_fun_for_ki/

No comments: